Summer is winding down… and I’m not mad about it.
I’ve really had so much fun this summer, the most fun I’ve had in a summer in a LONG time. I’m talking like… since the play ground days. There was grilling, there was laughter, there was corn hole, there was beer drinking on the deck, and there was good, good food y’all. One of my favorite parts about warmer weather is the UNBELIEVABLE fresh produce. I’m always so giddy every year when I see bright red tomatoes, fresh green herbs and crisp, delicious, fresh-from-the-ground vegetables that make my heart flutter every time. I prefer a bouquet of vegetables over a floral bouquet any day (although, have you seen the fresh cut flowers at farmer’s markets?! GORG.).
So what’s a girl to do with all these veggies? Add them to eggs. Toss in some fresh herbs. Bake them until golden perfection. Y’all know how I am about making my meals ahead of time and how I LOVE when a meal lasts more than one meal, so this is… like… beyond heaven for me. It’s euphoric. Yes, breakfast egg bakes can be euphoric.
With summer coming to an end, stock up on those veggies now! ‘Cuz from here, we’re about to be diving into soups, stews, pies, galettes, and anything that is stick-to-your-ribs deliciousness! I. CAN’T. WAIT.
Let’s do this!
First and foremost. There are no rules when it comes to egg bakes. NONE. So get wild, let your hair down, and use whatever vegetables and herbs your heart desires. Just make sure it’s delicious. I trust you’ll do a fine job :). Here’s how I made mine!
Prep the ingredients: Dice about 5oz or 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes into quarters, dice 1/2 an onion (about 1/3 of a cup), and roughly chop 1 cup of spinach. Crack 8 eggs into a bowl.
*Ok, I know what you’re thinking because I’m thinking it too… HELLO, where are the rest of the veggies? Well I had peppers on hand, but my main squeeze can’t eat peppers, so I had to scratch that. I had also planned on adding some zucchini and squash but I had grilled it, put it on top of orzo, splashed it with balsamic dressing and devoured it the night before… so yea, THAT didn’t happen. All of this to say, I would have totally added all dem veggies had those events not happened.
Mix it all together: To the bowl of 8 eggs, add in 1/2 cup of milk,
1/2 TBS of dijon mustard,
4TBS of melted butter (that has cooled to room temperature),
1/2 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and 1/2 tsp of paprika. Grab a whisk and whisk it all together.
Then, add in the 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes, 1/3 cup diced onion, and 3 minced cloves of garlic.
Then, add 1 cup of chopped spinach and 1 cup of shredded white cheddar cheese. Grab a spoon and mix until just combined.
Bake to perfection: Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray. Poor the delicious ingredients from the bowl into the dish, and bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes until the eggs are completely cooked.
Side note – the eggs puff up in the oven and it looks SO COOL. Once the eggs are completely cooked, remove from the oven and let them cool about 5 minutes.
Stand back in awe at this glorious sight.
Cut out a big square and top with pico de gallo for extra flavor,
or make wonderful delicious farmers market egg bake street tacos!!
- 5oz or ½ cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ½ an onion (about ⅓ of a cup), diced
- 1 cup spinach, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 4 TBS butter, melted
- ½ TBS dijon mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- Baking pan (9x13)
- Non-Stick Spray
- Dice about 5oz or ½ cup of cherry tomatoes into quarters, dice ½ an onion (about ⅓ of a cup), and roughly chop 1 cup of spinach. Crack 8 eggs into a bowl.
- To the bowl of 8 eggs, add in ½ cup of milk, ½ TBS of dijon mustard, ½ tsp of salt, ½ tsp pepper and ½ tsp of paprika. Grab a whisk and whisk it all together.
- Then, add in the ½ cup of diced cherry tomatoes, ⅓ cup of diced onion, 3 cloves of minced garlic, 1 cup of chopped spinach and 1 cup of shredded white cheddar cheese. Grab a spoon and mix until just combined.
- Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray. Poor the delicious ingredients from the bowl into the dish, and bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes until the eggs are completely cooked.
- Once the eggs are completely cooked, remove from the oven and let them cool about 5 minutes. Cut out a big square and top with pico de gallo for extra flavor, or make wonderful delicious farmers market egg bake street tacos!! So. Good.
Tell me, tell me what y’all eat for breakfast!